Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Joey Bada$$ "Like Me" Official Video channels Police Shootings of Unarmed Black Men

With the recent release of his album "B4.DA.$$" Joey surprised his fans with a video for the song "Like me" featuring BJ the Chicago Kid. This actually happened to be one of my top three favorite songs on the album. I think the song has a very powerful message. 

Joey premiered this song on The Tonight Show. He tackles social, political, and personal issues over a smooth instrumental. Then, his album released and it become a lot of fans’ favorite.

Joey gives his take on the recent shootings of unarmed black men by police, and on some of the baggage that comes with being black in America. "My way of protesting is through my music," he says.

In the video you see Joey get caught up with a girl, the man who is the girls ex is a hot head with a gun. Hes confronted by the hot headed guy and even still becomes a police target after the cops had already shot the guy and the girl. Joey, being a target gets confronted by the cops later in the day, holds his hands up, unarmed, and still gets shot.

About the video, Joey says "In the video, the hot-headed guy, he gets killed by the police with a gun in his hand. And me, the cool guy, who is away from all the violence, I still end up being mixed in the loop—just being a victim because of my surroundings or where I'm from."
"I pray that there is hope," he explains. "But even the fact that I have to dream like that is what's disturbing. My message is that it can happen to any one of us."

No comments:

Post a Comment